Lucky lucky

If You Can Hunt it, We Want to Hear About it
deadeer

Lucky lucky

Postby deadeer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:50 pm

I have been drawn for our local state park deer reduction hunt again this year. :mrgreen: It is one buck and 2 does, or 3 doe limit, 2 day hunt. I have taken many deer over the years here. I know the property well, over 3k acres. Firearm only, limited to low power rifle calibers like 44mag, 460sw, etc, muzzleloaders, and pistols like 357mag and up, as well as single shot pistols in hpr calibers. I have many choices, although I hoped to simplify the season with only a couple guns used. :lol:

Also just got word today, a buddy and I got drawn for our local nature preserve deer hunt. :mrgreen: Also 3 deer, antlerless only, 2 day hunt. Here we can use any hpr caliber and down. I have taken 10 deer in the last few years here, as well as the buddy coming with me, roughly same numbers. We are both loaded with choices. We will have to see. :lol:

We are really looking forward to another year getting to help keep the population in check. These hunts are total and complete wild deer. The easy resident deer no longer reside making these just as challenging as any other hunt, just that these may be a little higher density in population. I have been skunked a time or two, so no "shooting fish in a barrel" comments please, lol. :rotf:

Bill K

Re: Lucky lucky

Postby Bill K » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Now do you get to process and keep the meat for personal use, or does so go to a organization, etc. for homeless, senior meals, etc. ? sounds like a good program overall. Bill K

deadeer

Postby deadeer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:33 am

Yeah, the hunters keep the meat. We process our own, and use every ounce we harvest. I give some away to family and friends, and share some recipes and outcomes as well,

deadeer

Postby deadeer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:34 am

We have a donation program in our state. I have given a couple away over the years, but typically to people we know.

rkittine

Postby rkittine » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:43 am

Please come to my house and take the the 4-10 deer herd that is there every night and morning eating my plants.
Bob Kittine
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV

deadeer

Postby deadeer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:37 am

rkittine wrote:Please come to my house and take the the 4-10 deer herd that is there every night and morning eating my plants.

Address please. I see a road trip with bullseye69 in my future. :AR15firin: lol

Bill K

Postby Bill K » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:10 am

rkittine wrote:Please come to my house and take the the 4-10 deer herd that is there every night and morning eating my plants.

I am the opposite. I leave the deer herd, bucks, does and annual fawns alone that visit my property everyday and night, eating plants, flowers and even into the garden areas, not covered to keep them out. But the deer up the mountain and off property are fair game, in season and all. :AR15firin: :AR15firin: Bill K

rkittine

Postby rkittine » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:34 am

Google Redwood Road, Sag Harbor, New York. I am on the water inside the village of Sag Harbor, on an island with a causeway that narrows to a small bridge. When I first built my house there were no deer on the island. Then they started swimming on and finally they just walk up the causeway and over the bridge as no one even tries to stop them.

I don't both them either, but hence why I asked someone else to do it. Unfortunately we have a serious problem and the local government has hired professional hunters to thin the herd, but they can't seem to get ahead. Many treat deer here like welcome pets and feed them. They are not nocturnal and have no fear here and the experts say since they are up and active more of the day, they have a least two folds a year instead of one and hence the herd is really out of control. Couple that with the fact we are talking about small yards inside a village, all with grass lawns and lots of kids playing outside, Lyme Decease is a serious problem.

Bob
Bob Kittine
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV

Return to “General Hunting”