45 acp brass trimming

Load Data, Methods, Bullets, Ballistics
Clint beastwood

45 acp brass trimming

Postby Clint beastwood » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:30 pm

I have been reading that trimming brass to reload 45 acp is not necessary. Any advice on this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

rkittine

Re: 45 acp brass trimming

Postby rkittine » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:30 am

Since the 45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth, two things are critical: The length of the case and the type and amount of crimp you use. This being said, I have never purchased any new brass or factory ammo that was too short or too long, and with the straight wall, have reloaded until the cases were no longer reloadable before there was enough elongation. Remember, except in a 45 ACP revolver with half moon clips, the case mouth is up against the end of the chamber at the time of firing.

If you are concerned, take a look at the SAMMI diagram of the case in one of your loading manuals and put a set of calipers on a few cases. If you are seeing increased length for some reason, than a trim die might be in your future, but my case trimmers have never seen a pistol case.

Bob
Last edited by rkittine on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Kittine
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV

Bullet Maker

Postby Bullet Maker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:09 am

I have never trimmed any brass for a semiauto handgun.
pete@newenglandcustombullets.com

LIVE FREE OR DIE Best license plate logo ever.

bullseye-69

Postby bullseye-69 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:14 am

I haven't trimmer for semiauto handgun either.
I normally loose more brass than I pick up of my own but get a lot of everyone else new brass.
“Lifes hard,its even harder when your stupid.”―J Wayne
http://hunt-indiana.com/

dungheap

Postby dungheap » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Same here -- loaded lots 'n' lots of semi-auto pistol ammo over the years, and NEVER trimmed. Never had a related issue, either. Even finicky bullyeye shooters I've known over the years didn't do it. In the end, I don't think there's an absolute answer here, but for me, the bottom line seems to be -- not necessary

Doom

Postby Doom » Fri May 11, 2018 10:09 pm

A good amount of my 45 Brass from factory ammo is less than the trim to length. It worked fine.

rkittine

Postby rkittine » Sat May 12, 2018 1:37 pm

And if it starts out shorter, any growth to the end of the chamber, would be fine. Now, if you are shooting .45 ACP in a smooth cylinder revolver with half moon clips, then it would be possible, but if you look at the pressures and dynamics in a straight walled pistol case, I would not expect any real elongation.

When I commercially reloaded I did trim .38 SPL cases, but only for guys shooting Full Wad Cutters only in Model 52 Smiths. And, I always started with Once Fired Brass that had been fired out of a revolver.

Bob
Bob Kittine
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV

bullseye-69

Postby bullseye-69 » Sun May 13, 2018 5:33 am

rkittine wrote:And if it starts out shorter, any growth to the end of the chamber, would be fine. Now, if you are shooting .45 ACP in a smooth cylinder revolver with half moon clips, then it would be possible, but if you look at the pressures and dynamics in a straight walled pistol case, I would not expect any real elongation.

When I commercially reloaded I did trim .38 SPL cases, but only for guys shooting Full Wad Cutters only in Model 52 Smiths. And, I always started with Once Fired Brass that had been fired out of a revolver.

Bob

agree
“Lifes hard,its even harder when your stupid.”―J Wayne
http://hunt-indiana.com/

Return to “Reloading & Ammunition”