Harvest moon earns its name

Archerytalk
Wyoming.260

Re: Harvest moon earns its name

Postby Wyoming.260 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:26 pm

Striker wrote:Congratulations on the harvest. Some things just fall into place sometimes. What is the chances of that ending up as close to your truck as that pure luck.
What grn broad head you shooting and at what pounds . Myself like many others out there hope to bag a trophy like that one of these days . Congratulations again in the success.

I shoot 100 gr Steelforce broadheads, 30" Easton X7 2413 arrows( I know Old Fashioned) out of an older (1998) Hoyt Deviator. As heavy as the arrow is it still flies at 265 fps at 68 pounds...
On this elk it penetrated to the fletchings through shoulder meat and rib cage and poked a hole in offside ribs. I was happy with it, I do not consider myself an archery hunter, just a hunter that occasionally picks up a bow. This was the first animal I have killed with a bow in quite a while and only hunted because I had some elk figured out and did not want to wait til rifle season.......

Bill K

Postby Bill K » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:46 pm

Well it sure worked out. Nothing wrong with some of the old tried and true equipment, many of us have and still use. It still can get the task done. Bill K

Striker

Postby Striker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:31 am

Wyoming.260 wrote:
Striker wrote:Congratulations on the harvest. Some things just fall into place sometimes. What is the chances of that ending up as close to your truck as that pure luck.
What grn broad head you shooting and at what pounds . Myself like many others out there hope to bag a trophy like that one of these days . Congratulations again in the success.

I shoot 100 gr Steelforce broadheads, 30" Easton X7 2413 arrows( I know Old Fashioned) out of an older (1998) Hoyt Deviator. As heavy as the arrow is it still flies at 265 fps at 68 pounds...
On this elk it penetrated to the fletchings through shoulder meat and rib cage and poked a hole in offside ribs. I was happy with it, I do not consider myself an archery hunter, just a hunter that occasionally picks up a bow. This was the first animal I have killed with a bow in quite a while and only hunted because I had some elk figured out and did not want to wait til rifle season.......

Doesn't matter weather you consider yourself an archery hunter or not you got out and did the work of locating them and got the job done . Congrats again .
Wolves don't loose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

SShooterZ

Postby SShooterZ » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:43 am

Nice harvest my friend. I can't shoot a bow to save my life. It think it takes some concentration and practice considering the physical work it takes to draw a bow, hold and fire vs. a rifle where it's more point and click. The ole heart had to be pumping when that monster walked within range.

Wyoming.260

Postby Wyoming.260 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:53 pm

SShooterZ wrote:Nice harvest my friend. I can't shoot a bow to save my life. It think it takes some concentration and practice considering the physical work it takes to draw a bow, hold and fire vs. a rifle where it's more point and click. The ole heart had to be pumping when that monster walked within range.

I can Honestly say, I have shot one arrow in the last two years, the one that found this bull........
I know I have not practiced, so I was only willing to take a close shot. I do not advocate a No Practice regime, but a damaged right shoulder is my excuse. That being said, The string came back on it's own and I felt no Discomfort when this bull was pushing through some pines at twenty yards. At 12 yards was a matter of picking my spot and triggering the release.

I had all but giving up on archery, back East as I lost a couple of deer in a row due to a variable of reasons. But this past week has relight the candle to be in the woods earlier.....

Bill K

Postby Bill K » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:04 am

Wyoming.260 It is no fun to lose any game animal and us bow hunters get a lot of flake and blame for too many animals lost. But in over 55 years of hunting with both bow and firearm ( rifle/pistol) I lost only one deer bow hunting, none with the rifle. But I can tell you I find more lost and dead deer and even a few elk, that were shot by firearms, almost every year in the woods. It is going to occur, just a fact that goes with hunting, but overall, the experience and time in the woods are what we, either bow or firearm, are out there for, or should be. The kill is just like cream on the topping for good, fresh and truly organic meat/food. At least that is my thought, so go for it and enjoy. BIll K

Wyoming.260

Postby Wyoming.260 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:25 am

Bill K wrote:Wyoming.260 It is no fun to lose any game animal and us bow hunters get a lot of flake and blame for too many animals lost. But in over 55 years of hunting with both bow and firearm ( rifle/pistol) I lost only one deer bow hunting, none with the rifle. But I can tell you I find more lost and dead deer and even a few elk, that were shot by firearms, almost every year in the woods. It is going to occur, just a fact that goes with hunting, but overall, the experience and time in the woods are what we, either bow or firearm, are out there for, or should be. The kill is just like cream on the topping for good, fresh and truly organic meat/food. At least that is my thought, so go for it and enjoy. BIll K

I have never even had to track a rifle or muzzleloader hit deer. I did lose two to rainfall and one to a wet swamp where tracking was impossible with a bow. This bull was a fairly easy to track, I had full confidence he was just a head the whole time. I seen the arrow buried and knew he was a short timer. May be the time off helped my confidence, maybe I just got older and take better shots now. I no longer hunt in the Rain for anything so that helps......Thanks for the encouraging words.

Return to “Bowhunting”